Plano Texas water heater installation requirements Updated
For water heater with installation price quotes please call Harvey West Plumbing, your Plano licensed plumber since 1982 – (972)509-0224
Effective September 2007, the Texas State Legislature enacted into the Plumbing License Law additional wording to specifically include water heaters in their list of plumbing fixtures, required by law, to have a plumbing permit issued prior to installation. In addition, the law provides that such installations be done according to current codes by a Plano TX licensed water heater company and inspected by a licensed plumbing inspector.
The City of Plano is now following 2009 International Codes.
Water Heater Requirements for Plano Texas
CITY OF PLANO BUILDING INSPECTIONS DEPARTMENT (972) 941-7140
1. Location Access and Working Space (not shown) Water Heaters must be installed in accordance with Section M1305 and shall be located and connected to provide access for observation, maintenance, servicing and replacement. Working space: 30 inches x 30 inches.
2. 18 inch stand Required when water heater is installed in a garage. Water heaters listed as flammable vapor resistant and for installation without elevation are not required to be elevated. Stand not required if Water Heater is inside structure and away from vehicular traffic. Stand not required for Electric water heaters.
3. All manufacturers recommend installation of an emergency drain pan. City of Plano Requires a Corrosion Resistance Pan for installation above 1st floor only. Emergency drain pan is not required on first floor or in garage by City of Plano. A Corrosive resistant ¾ inch drain line is required to discharge at a visible location: exterior above grade, floor sink, mop sink. T & P drain line may NOT drain to Pan.
4. Shutoff Valve A shutoff valve is required on the cold water supply and is readily accessible. Dielectric unions are not required for hot and cold lines.
5. Pipe Insulation Pipe insulation is required on first 5 feet of hot and cold water pipe and to within 6 inches of draft hood.
6. Temperature & Pressure (T&P) Relief A temperature and pressure relief valve is required. ¾ inch minimum drain line must run with fall to approved locations: Exterior of building and located between 6 and 24 inches above finished grade, floor sink, or mop sink.
7. Combustion Air (Gas Water Heaters Only) Where located in a confined space (less than 50 cubic feet of area for each 1000 BTU input rating of water heater) a high and low combustion air opening must be provided within 12 inches of the top and bottom of the enclosure.
8. Vent (Gas Water Heaters Only – Ref. footnote for G2428.2.3 of IRC). A double wall vent must be provided with a minimum 1 inch to combustibles. Minimum 5 feet vertical required between vent collar and vent cap. A double wall (type B) vent must be provided with a min. 1 inch to combustibles. Min. 5 feet vertical required between vent collar and vent cap. Vent may have offsets of up to 45 degrees and one offset of up to 60 degrees. Vent must terminate in a listed vent cap. Vent stack minimum 5 feet.
9. Vent Connector(Gas Water Heaters Only) Single wall vent connector allowed to connect water heater to its vent. Vent connector must be exposed and cannot run into or through concealed construction. Minimum 6 inch clearance to combustibles. Min. pitch ¼ inch per foot.
10. Gas Connector (Gas Water Heaters Only) Accessible and approved valve with maximum 3 feet of flex connector. Connector and valve must not be concealed.
11. Tank-less Water Heaters Follow manufacturer installation instructions & comply with Int’l Fuel Gas Code for gas line size & vent. A gas load calculation shall be provided on the jobsite when calling the first inspection.
Notes for ELECTRIC water heaters:
1. Item (2): Stand not required in garage or inside homes on replacement work
2. Dielectric unions not required.
3. Flex connection not required for hot and cold lines. Copper pipes acceptable.
4. Item (3): Drain pan is not required if water heater is on the 1st floor.
*This is for informational purposes only and there is no guarantee as to its accuracy, as each city updates codes without notification. Please contact your city for up to date information regarding your project.