Sewer Slab Leaks – Dallas, Texas
Have you recently been told that you have a sewer slab leak or sewer break under your slab foundation in the Dallas TX area? If you have, we want to help you make the best choice while protecting yourself and family, your home and most importantly your finances.
As a homeowner, you deserve honesty from your plumbing contractor but more than anything you deserve to have the proper knowledge and information so that you can make the best decisions to meet your needs. When it comes to your making decisions regarding your biggest asset, we understand and put ourselves in your shoes. We will always help you through making decisions based on if it were our own home and family being affected. We wrote this to help you protect your best interests because all homeowners deserve this treatment and our customers have always been our biggest asset. We want to teach everyone whether you decide to choose us or not that you deserve the best knowledge and protection.
WHERE THINGS GO WRONG:
Unfortunately, over the last few years with our crazy Dallas area weather we have experienced wet weather and drought conditions causing problems with home plumbing systems. We have noticed an influx of unlicensed and inexperienced drain cleaners performing sewer stoppage calls and have been taught to run sewer camera equipment prior to attempting cabling the stoppage stating they will verify the issue beforehand. Upon performing a video inspection under water, the inexperience technician then shows a homeowner with an untrained eye a dark screen and states there is a break or collapsed line causing the stoppage. The technician then states he is unable to continue the job, will not be able to unclog the line with cabling equipment and must proceed with major repairs for a proper solution. Now you are left with two options needing immediate attention of either performing major repairs or leaving you potentially without use of your kitchen sink or toilets and tub/showers and an emergency situation.
WHAT TO KNOW TO PROTECT YOUR HOME/FAMILY/MONEY BEFORE ANY MAJOR REPAIR INVESTMENTS:
We understand, initially that it’s easy enough to go with the first plumber available to clear your stoppage issues. However, when you are told you have a break or leak in your sewer line it is time to take a step back and find out what is really going on. A second opinion probably won’t break the bank, however going with a company you don’t know or trust might.
- Always ask for a recording of sewer line videos to save money. This will assist you with your second opinions.
- Understand the majority of sub slab sewer leaks are undetectable by simply a video camera. There are cases, where a complete major separation, mainly in PVC lines can be seen by camera. If you can’t see the break on video, neither can the plumber.
- Check online customer reviews. See ours.
- Ask for at least one or two customer references.
- Always verify a city permit will be issued and that you will have an inspection for your slab leak repair.
- Never be afraid to ask a plumber to see his/her license. This is knowledge you need to know, your protection and you have every right to ask by Texas Law.
1) Know plumbing licenses:
- Restricted Drain cleaner – Has a minimum of 6 months of experience in the plumbing industry. Unable to perform any repair or replacement on your plumbing system. Only allowed by Texas State Law to run cabling and camera equipment through cleanout access and without changing the integrity of your plumbing system by removing the p-trap or breaking any seals.
- Unrestricted Drain cleaner – Has approximately 2 years of experience in the plumbing industry. May perform stoppages including removal and resetting toilets, removal and replacement of ptraps under sinks, replacement of cleanouts in your yard. They are not allowed by Texas State law to replace piping in your yard or under your home without a more experienced licensed plumber as listed below.
- Tradesman, Journeyman & Master Plumbers – Listed plumbers are able to perform any and all repair and replacement work at your residential home. A plumber with one of these listed licenses is required on site at all times during work performed.
Let’s Move on and learn what test you need to find the truth:
There is only ONE TRUE TEST to detect if you have sewer leaks or breaks below your slab or pier/beam foundation. Plumbers call this by multiple names, however the words “Sewer Static Test for slab leak detection” are the words you want to use in our local Dallas area. This test will determine if you have any leaks or breaks under your foundation. To best prepare you as a homeowner, it is important to know that ground level cleanouts are required for proper testing. Homes built prior to 1985, depending on the area, may or may not have cleanouts. For proper testing, cleanouts can always be installed and we have seen it time and time again that you may have no problem at all with the proper testing.
If you have been told you have a broken sewer under your slab, we recommend you always get at least one second opinion before proceeding with any major repairs. Spending a little more money for your second opinion could potentially save you thousands of dollars. Harvey West Plumbing is offering a Special for such homeowners in this very predicament. Provide us proof of an invoice from another plumber stating a you have broken sewer line and we will perform the proper testing with exposed ground level cleanouts for your second opinion at the very low cost of $89. All homeowners deserve to protect their home, protect their investment and save money. We understand this is a lot of information to take in, so feel free to call Harvey West Plumbing for advice as well at 972-509-0224.