City of The Colony TX water heater requirements
Effective September 2007, the Texas State Legislature enacted into the Plumbing License Law additional wording to specifically include water heaters in their list of plumbing fixtures, required by law, to have a plumbing permit issued prior to installation. In addition, the law provides that such installations be done according to current codes by a The Colony TX licensed master plumber and inspected by a licensed plumbing inspector.
The Colony Texas Water Heater Installation Requirements:
All water heater installations require permits. Plumbing contractor must be registered with the City of The Colony. Installation of water heaters shall be installed in accordance with Chapter 20, 24 and 28 of the 2006 International Codes.
1. Water heater shall be located and connected so as to provide easy access for observation, maintenance, servicing and replacement.
2. Water heaters shall not be installed in a room used for storage.
3. Gas-fired water heaters located in a bedroom or bathroom shall be installed in a sealed enclosure so that combustion air will not be taken from the living space.
4. Water heaters installed in garages that have an ignition source shall be elevated a minimum of eighteen (18) inches above the garage floor.
5. Gas stop shall be ball-valve type and shall be able to shut off by hand.
6. Maximum length of flex gas pipe is thirty six (36) inches.
7. Water heaters installed in attics and/or garages shall have the water pipes insulated.
8. A pan is required where water heaters are installed in locations where leakage of the tank or connections could cause structural damage. Galvanized steel pan shall have a minimum thickness of twenty-four (24) gauge. PVC/plastic drain pans not allowed.
9. Pan drain termination shall extend full size and terminate over a suitably located indirect waste receptor or shall extend to the exterior of the building and terminate not less than six (6) inches and not more than twenty-four (24) inches above adjacent ground surface or add emergency water shut off device (or alarm).
10. Readily accessible full open valve shall be installed in the cold-water supply pipe.
The Colony TX Building Inspection 972-624-3158
For more information on water heaters and water heater pricing in The Colony TX please visit our website.
*This is for informational purposes only and there is no guarantee as to its accuracy, as each city updates codes without notification. Please contact your city for up to date information regarding your project.